The CA Peace Alliance/ Department of Peacebuilding Campaign stood for peacebuilding at the CA Democratic Party (CDP) Convention in Sacramento, CA from May 19-21, 2017 by:
- tabling, dialoguing and networking with many of the over 3,000 convention attendees and delegates – including many hopeful conversations and appreciation to us for persistently injecting peacebuilding into the national discourse
- obtaining petition signatures from some candidates for CA statewide offices, CDP activists and others urging members of Congress to join with the 29 current cosponsors of Rep. Barbara Lee's (CA-13) legislation to create a cabinet-level Department of Peacebuilding (HR 1111)
- partnering at our booth with Oakland's Attitudinal Healing/ ArtEsteem group which promotes violence prevention through the arts in Berkeley, Oakland and San Francisco schools
- successfully obtaining endorsement of our "Resolution to Budget for Peacebuilding for People & the Environment" by the CDP Resolutions Committee, ensuring that the resolution will be on the consent calendar for the next statewide Democratic party meeting in August 2017
- learning that Pierre Beauregard, District 50 Congressional candidate, makes a Department of Peacebuilding part of his platform
While our nation is in a vortex of distrust and division, many are working to create a better world. The rhetoric and causes on display at the CDP convention reflected our national imbalance and the balance we are seeking. While the crisis of governance is overshadowing most conversations, we cannot ignore the crisis of violence, hatred and fear that is costing so much in lives and money. Building a culture of inclusion, oneness, respect, and peace is more important than ever if we are to progress on social, educational, environmental, economic, justice and other challenges. Prioritizing violence prevention and peacebuilding – including establishment of a cabinet-level Department of Peacebuilding – is vital to our children, our nation and our world. That was our message at the CDP convention.
Thank you to the many volunteers, donors, supporters and CA Peace Alliance team members for doing the work of peacebuilding.
When our children ask
“DID YOU HELP CREATE THE DEPARTMENT OF PEACEBUILDING?"
What will you say?